Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Filet Mignon


Filet mignon is probably my favorite thing to eat. I LOVE it. I always thought it would be hard to make the perfect filet, but figured I would one day just have to give it a try! I have to say; it wasn’t as hard as you would think. All you need is confidence and a good meat thermometer (unless you have that talent of “poking and knowing” haha)!

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of butter
1 filet mignon
* salt and pepper


Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees and season the filet with salt and pepper.

Heat the butter in a pan on high heat until melted. Once the butter is melted, turn the heat down to medium-high, place the filet in the pan and sear on all sides (about 3-4 minutes).

Transfer the filet to an oven proof dish and finish cooking it in the oven for about 8-10 minutes for a medium steak. For me, the best way to know if it is done is to simply use a meat thermometer. This way, you won't have to cut it open and risk losing any flavor!

Rare: 135 °F/57 °C
Medium-rare: 145 °F/63 °C
Medium: 160 °F/71 °C
Well-done: 170 °F/77 °C

Once your steak is done to your liking, take it out and “tent” it with foil for at least 10 minutes. This step is very important. Tenting your meat helps it to retain juices.


Once Meat has been tented, it is ready to eat!

*Note: You may want to consider saving the meat drippings from the baking dish to enjoy with your steak!


Personally, I enjoyed my filet with winter squash risotto (see recipe for "Winter Squash Risotto"). I think steak and creamy dishes compliment each other very nicely. I also used the meat drippings to drizzle over the top!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We need to have a cook-off! You cook your steak, and I'll grill one.