Thursday, March 19, 2015

Meal Prep Sunday

I'm starting to notice more and more people getting into weekly meal prepping. I personally think this is a great way to keep yourself on track if you have a busy schedule! I understand not wanting to cook after a long day of work, but this make it tempting to grab fast food or dine on "junk food."

During my current rotation, I have started to get extremely busy during the week. So...to stay on track, I have started having myself a "Meal Prep Sunday." Every Sunday, I go to the store and purchase food that I can make in advance and store in containers. Pick out any day that works best for you!

My go-to items are:
Chicken breast (pack of 4)
Beets (3-4 bulbs)
Kale (2 bundles)
Quinoa (1 cup dried)
Red Onions (1 large onion)
Brussels Sprouts (one package of fresh sprouts)
Tomatoes (*optional* get however many you want)




Directions for delicious baked chicken:
I bake the chicken at 400 for 20 minutes, and then lower the temperature to 325, cover with foil and bake for another 30 minutes.

Directions for the quinoa:
I use about 1 cup dried quinoa and prepare it by bringing the grains to a boil for about 15 minutes and then taking them off the heat and cover so that they can absorb the rest of the water and "fluff" up.

Directions for the kale/onion sauté:
For the onion/kale sauté, I start by heating 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauce pan on medium heat and sauté the red onion until soft. I then dump the chopped onion in a bowl and sauté the kale. In the end, I toss the kale and onions together.

Directions for the beets:
I boil the beets until soft enough to be pierced with a fork (approximately 30-40 minutes depending on the size of your beets).

Directions for the Brussels sprouts:
I cut the Brussels I half and toss them in a baking dish with olive oil and rosemary and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

Directions for the tomatoes:
And lastly for the tomatoes...I just slice those and eat them raw (maybe drizzle some balsamic over them if I happen to have some)!

All of this only cost me about $23 from Food Lion! What a steal! Who said it was expensive to be healthy??


The Tupperware contents definitely fill up a average sized plate!


No comments: