Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Homemade Chewy Granola Bars



Need something quick and easy to eat on-the-go? These granola bars are simple to make and can be made in advance. They are perfect to have as a quick breakfast or as a mid-day snack! One batch makes a fill 7-11" pan. 

Primary Ingredients:
2 packed cups of dates (I used 8oz bags of pitted dates)
½ cup of honey (Agave or maple would be appropriate substiutues)
½ cup of natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
2 cups of chopped almonds (I mixed chopped and whole almonds)
3 cups of old fashioned oats

Extras Ingredients:
I added a 5oz bag of cherry juice infused Craisins and a few dashes of cinnamon

Directions:
In a food processor, chop the dates until they roll up in a ball (probably about 30 seconds).

Mix together the oats, almonds and dates.

In a saucepan or pot, heat the peanut butter and honey until it is mixed.

I didn’t do this, but next time I will break up the date ball into the peanut butter/honey mix so that it will stir easier.

Then mix all the ingredients in a bowl and add in the extras that you want (in my case, Craisins and cinnamon). I used my hands to mix it thoroughly.

To get the chocolate on the bottom, I melted a handful of semi sweet chocolate chips in a bowl and then spread it into a 7x11” glass pan lined with wax paper. I pressed the mixture onto the melted chocolate.

Let the chocolate harden.

They can then be stored in an air tight container, or frozen to preserve them for even longer!

No comments: